|Cell Phone Rental for Mexico
Cellular Abroad Rental Service for Mexico
Rent a cell phone for your trip to Mexico and enjoy the convenience and security of a cell phone at an affordable price. Our cell phone rentals for Mexico are pay as you go which means that there are no contracts to sign or unexpected bills to pay. You can choose a US phone number with an area code local to your home area. Check your balance at any time and conveniently add more call credit toll free from the handset by using a credit card. 7 days/week toll free customer service from the handset is included. Cellular Abroad offers cellular phone rentals for Mexico and over 120 other countries
IMPORTANT: Please visit Mobile World Live's coverage map to ensure you have coverage in the area you will be visiting in Mexico, as there are areas in Mexico that have no GSM Coverage.
Information and Talk Rates Chart
- US cell phone number
- SMS Text Messages
- Pay as you go service
- Supports data (in the US) - $0.0195 per KB
- 150 minutes of incoming or outgoing calls in the U.S.
- 60 minutes of incoming or outgoing calls in Mexico
- 39 minutes of incoming or outgoing call in Canada
|Talk Rates (per min.)
Mexico : $0.25 in&out
US : $0.10 in&out
Canada : $0.39 in&out
|Text / SMS Rates
3G data is not available
Our Rental Packages
Our Country Specific rental packages include the rental of an unlocked GSM Tri-Band Phone with Mexican SIM card. There are two phone rental packages available: The standard rental package features an unlocked Motorola cell phone. Our Deluxe rental package features a WIFI Data cell phone. The V3 is recommend for people who prefer a slimmer phone and a larger display; additional features include digital camera and Bluetooth. Both phones are compact and light-weight. Please see below for pricing and details. In addition to the rental fee you must purchase the initial $15 of talk time which you need to add after activating the SIM card. Activation take only a few moments online and the talk time would need to be added in order to make and receive calls.
|Standard GSM Cell Phone Rental Rates
|*PLUS the price of (1) recharge voucher for initial talk credit ($15 each).
Compare prices with our Phone & SIM purchase packages for Mexico.
|Deluxe Cell Phone Rental Rates (WiFi-enabled phone)
|*PLUS the price of (1) recharge voucher for initial talk credit ($15).
You also get:
- Incoming and outgoing calls within Mexico and back to the US at $0.25 per minute
- A US phone number local to your home area
- Add credit at any time with your credit card from your phone (toll free)
- Additional credit available in $15, $25, $50 and $100 denominations
- SMS text messaging
- English speaking customer service representatives available toll free 7 days/week
- No yearly contract, monthly charges or credit check
All cell phone rentals include:
- A GSM cellular phone with a battery, fully charged and ready to go
- International plug adapters
- International 110-220 volt charger
- Phone box and User Guide
- Return ship label (from within US, Canadian customers please click here). We encourage you to return in the original box
||"Back from Baja ! The phone worked great."
WARNING FOR IPHONE 4S USERS: This SIM Card will currently not work in your phone, unless you purchased your iPhone 4S from AT&T.
A GSM cellular phone with no service-provider lock. The phone must be capable of functioning in the 1900 GSM band. (More bands are ok.)
Your US Cell Number to US & Canada: 1 – area code – phone number
Your US Cell Number to US (while in Mexico): 001 – area code – phone number
Your US Cell Number to Mexico (while in Mexico): Local Mexican area code – phone number
Mexico Numbers to Your US Cell Number: 001 – area code – phone number
Snap out the SIM chip from the SIM card and insert the chip into your GSM Phone with the metal portion facing down as to make contact with the contact prongs.
To activate your service:
1. Visit: https://www.wireless.att.com/activations/
2. Select: GoPhone -> Pay As You Go
3. Enter required info - !Smartphone users! - you must select "basic messaging" when prompted for type of device to populate the correct rate plan option.
4. Select $0.10 Plan
5. Once you have your new number call 1-800-901-9878 or 611 from your handset to setup an account to add call credit
6. You must add your initial $15 credit voucher. (Included on your order) This can be done from the activation conformation screen or by dialing 611 while in the US or *729 while in Mexico.
Having any issues with the activation process? Contact 1-800-331-0500 and ask specifically for the Prepaid Gophone department.
Checking your credit:
You can dial *777# to check your credit at any time.
Adding Talk Time:
The easiest way to add additional talk time is over the phone directly from the handset. You can add talk time from the US or within Mexico with a US credit card. Dial 611 to reach Customer Support or *729 to reach the Payment Center.
NOTE:To add your recharge voucher codes while in the US or Canada, dial *888*(recharge PIN code)#send. While in Mexico dial *729 to reach the Payment Center and follow the prompts.
U.S./Mexico/Canada Prepaid Credit
only $15.00 for $15 of talk time credit
Add more talk time to your AT&T SIM Card with an additional $15 recharge card. Each of these recharges gives 150 local minutes while in the U.S., or 60 minutes while in Mexico.
Voicemail must be activated while in the U.S. before you leave for Mexico or Canada. Press and hold the 1 key on your handset to connect to your voice mail box system and follow the phone instructions to set up your recorded message. Listening to your voice mail costs $0.10 per minute while in the US and $0.25 per minute while in Mexico
If you are unable to make calls to the US try dialing 00 before the 1 area code and number.
If you are unable to make or receive calls switch networks on your phone. Consult your phone’s manual. The steps will be like these:
- Menu > Settings/Setup > Network > Available Network/Change Network > Search
- Select a different network carrier than the one currently shown.
If you are receiving no reception bars, emergency calls only, SOS, or no service
check your phones band setting: Consult your phone’s manual. The steps will be like these:
- Menu > Settings/Setup > Network > Network Setup >Band
- Make sure you select 1900
When you add call credit, you also extend the validity period as follows:
- $15 : 30 days
- $25 : 90 days
- $50 : 90 days
- $75 : 90 days
- $100 : 365 day
If you receive your cellular rental missing any of the listed items, please contact us immediately.
- Would you rather own your phone? This is a better option if your stay is 2 months or longer. Check out our package deals for Mexico!
- Traveling to multiple countries? You may want to consider a Talk Abroad™ rental package.
Important FAQs for Rentals
- When do I order?
You can order as far in advance as you like - even months prior to your departure. We will ship your rental at the appropriate date in order for you to receive it prior to your departure. Rentals are shipped ground or express service and will arrive 2 business days prior to your set departure date.
- What will this cost me?
- The applicable rental period fee for the duration of your rental period.
- The price of the SIM Card (1 per phone).
- Round-trip shipping and handling fee (see below).
- How much is shipping?
If you order at least 2 weeks in advance, round-trip Ground shipping is only $12.88. If you are leaving soon, we offer round-trip 2-day Express for $29.96, or Overnight Express for $39.96. Rentals will arrive 2 business days prior to your set departure date.
- What is the latest I can order a rental phone?
You can order up to one business day prior to your departure as long as you call in before to 1:30pm Pacific Time. Exceptions can be made on a limited basis, even if you are leaving early in the morning - we can usually get your phone to you. Please call our 800 number (rather than order via the web) in order to confirm that we can get you a phone rental on time.
- When do I get the phone?
You will receive your cell phone rental two days prior to your departure, unless you require next day delivery.
- Does the cell phone come charged?
Yes it does, but itís always best to test the battery and charge phone before your departure.
- Can I charge this phone on my trip?
Yes, you will receive an international charger and relevant plug adapters, so you can charge the phone in the U.S. or at your destination.
- How do I return the phone?
Round trip shipping is included in your shipping fee. You will be provided with a return sticker label, which you can put on the box the phone arrived in, or your own box. If using your own box please do not use an extremely oversized box. (Canadian rental customers click here)
- What happens if I cancel?
If your rental has not shipped, you will only be charged a 5% reserve fee. If your rental has been sent out, you are responsible for the one week rental fee plus the shipping fee.
- Are there any surcharges or hidden fees?
Unless you are roaming outside of the country or countries for which your service is offered, the rates are fixed according to our posted rate chart and coverage areas. All rental customers are subject to our Terms & Conditions.
- What will the rates be for people calling me from the US?
That depends on the international long distance rates charged by their Long Distance Company or international calling card.
- Does Cellular Abroad offer insurance against loss or damage?
Yes, rental insurance is available for $19.50 as an add-on once you add your item to the cart. See what is covered here.
You can also purchase other SIM cards as well for other countries to where you may be traveling. (This option is good for those planning on doing a lot of local calling.) We also offer an international roaming National Geographic Talk Abroad™ rental that is convenient for travel to multiple countries. (This option is useful for those wanting a single number for use in multiple countries and who will be making more calls back home than locally.)