+1 310 862-7100
|Please be sure to read these instructions
prior to departing for Germany.
WARNING: Please do NOT insert the SIM card into the phone before arrival in Germany! Doing so could make your SIM invalid.
If you experience any technical difficulties with your phone or SIM card and you do not contact Cellular Abroad for technical support by phone or by email during your trip, we cannot offer any refund or compensation.
Your German Cell Number to USA: 001 – area code – phone number
Your phone needs to be an unlocked dual-band, tri-band or quad-band GSM phone capable of functioning in the 900/1800 MHz GSM band.
US to German Cell: 011 – your German phone number (starting with 49)
Your German Cell Number to Germany: 0 – phone number
Germany to Your German Cell Number: 0 – your German phone number (minus 49 country code)
Important US toll free numbers are not accessible from overseas. Be sure to get valid international numbers prior to your departure.
Please Note: There is no support for service when roaming outside of Germany.
Before you go!
You can also call to activate:
- DO NOT insert the SIM card until you arrive in Germany. If it picks up a network in the US it will ruin the SIM card.
- Activate the service online before you depart for Germany.
- Visit the Ortel website: http://www.ortelmobile.de/en-GB/sim-activation/
- A hotel address is ok – Do not include the name of the hotel.
- You must enter the Zip Code first, the city will populate in the field below. Click on the city and the street options will populate below.
- Click on the "Activate" button, and the confirmation will be displayed at the top of the page - Your SIM will be activated shortly.
- From North America (landline/ US cell) – Call 011 49 1805010446 8AM to 6PM M-F.
- From a German landline – Call 0800 000 6836
Once you arrive!
- Insert your SIM card: Gently snap out the SIM Chip from the SIM Card casing, then insert the chip into your GSM Phone. The gold plate on your SIM Chip should face the gold contact prongs inside your phone. Switch your phone on.
- If prompted enter your PIN #, located on the Ortel Mobile letter attached to you user guide.
- The initial credit has been preloaded.
- You may now make and receive calls.
PIN and PUK codes
The PIN and PUK information can be found on the welcome letter from Ortel Mobile where the SIM card is attached. Consult your phone's manual to deactivate the PIN code. This can be done in the menu setting under security. If the PIN code is entered incorrectly 3 times the PUK must be used to enter the phone.
Voice Mail - By default your voicemail is set to on
To check your voicemail,
- Dial 99* or 9911. You can follow the prompts to record a personal greeting.
You can also check your voicemail from another phone, in the US or in Germany:
- In Germany, dial 0177 99 plus the last 7-digits of your number or
- From the states 011 49 177 99 and the last 7-digits of your number.
Checking Your Credit
- Call 1155 and follow the menu prompts.
- Call *100# and your credit will then appear on the screen. This can be done outside of Germany as long as your phone is picking up a network.
When you receive a message stating “You are not qualified to make this call”, you have no call credit.
Purchasing More Talk Time
The most convenient way to buy credit is direct from Cellular Abroad. To use the same credit card you used to order from Cellular Abroad, you can send a text message to our Recharge Hotline and Cellular Abroad will send you a recharge code instantly, straight to your phone via SMS text message. A recharge code costs $22 and is worth approximately 111 minutes of calls to the US or Canada, or up to 52 minutes within Germany.
- You must have sufficient credit for at least 1 outgoing international SMS text message (USD $0.20)
- Text the number "1" to phone number +447872281074
- If successful, you will be sent a confirmation text message with your code. Use the instructions below to redeem your code for talk time.
- If not successful, or you don't receive a code, call Cellular Abroad at 001 310-862-7100 (M-F, 8am-4pm PST)
If you wish to purchase credit locally within Germany, you can find recharge vouchers (called E-Plus) at any of the 20,000 convenience and cell phone stores that sell E-Plus recharge vouchers.
Adding More Talk Time
- Top-Up via Keypad: Enter *104*(16-digit code)# and hit ‘SEND.’ After a few seconds, the new balance will appear on the screen
- Top-Up via Service number: Dial 1155. Select option 4. When prompted, enter the 16-digit recharge code followed by ‘#’ to confirm. The code will be repeated, and press 1 if correct.
Activating Data - Please note your SIM only has €8 preloaded
Activating the Internet XL 750MB plan
- Send INTERNETXL by text message to 77300 or dial 1155 (menu 8->1->4->1)
- €9.90 will be deducted from your account
- This plan gives you unlimited data for 30 days (750 MB at 3G speed) and will auto deduct another €9.90 30 days later if sufficent credit is available
- To cancel this plan at any time dial 1155
Activating the Internet XL 3GB plan
- Send INTERNET3GB by text message to 77300 or dial 1155 (menu 8->1->7->1)
- €14.90 will be deducted from your account
- This plan gives you unlimited data for 30 days (3GB at 3G speed) and will auto deduct another €14.90 30 days later if sufficent credit is available
- To cancel this plan at any time dial 1155
International Roaming rates throughout the European Union
- Incoming calls: 0.13€/min
- Outgoing calls: 0.41€/min
- Outgoing SMS: 0.13€/min
- Data: 0.49€/MB
If you are unable to make or receive calls switch networks on your phone. Consult your phone’s manual. The steps will be like these:
- Menu > Settings/Setup > Network > Available Network/Change Network > Search
- Select a different network carrier than the one currently shown.
If you are receiving no reception bars, emergency calls only, SOS, or no service
check your phones band setting: Consult your phone’s manual. The steps will be like these:
- Menu > Settings/Setup > Network > Network Setup >Band
- Make sure you select 900/1800
For Network or Service issues:
- Dial 0180 501 0446 (the call will cost €0.49/minute from your cell phone), Ortel Mobile Customer Service is open M-F 8AM to 6PM.
To reach Cellular Abroad for recharges, billing or hardware support:
- From a landline, (NOT from payphones, mobile phones, and majority of hotels) Cellular Abroad can be reached 8am to 4pm PST, Monday - Friday with English customer support and recharge services by dialing this number: 00-800-3623-3333. Please note that some hotels may charge for toll free calls. You may reach us from your cell phone at +1-310-862-7100 (not a toll free call) or via email at email@example.com.
These rates are based on per-minute charges. Remember, all incoming calls are free regardless of origin.
- Domestic outgoing rates of €0.09/minute ($0.11/minute).
- International outgoing rates of €0.05/minute ($0.07/minute). Connection fee of €0.15/call ($0.20).
- Voicemail: calls are €0.29/minute ($0.39/minute).
Text Message Rates
Incoming – Free
Outgoing – €0.15 to German #'s / €0.15 to US/Canada
Your German SIM card is good for 6 months. Each recharge extends the life of your SIM card for 5 months from the date of the recharge. After 6 months, all credit will expire and the service will expire.
To inquire about the possibility of extending your SIM card’s service life while outside the SIM card’s country of origin, contact the telecom provider's customer service, Cellular Abroad does not provide support for this feature.
You will find a copy of these instructions on our website at http://www.cellularabroad.com/germanySIMop.php.
Cellular Abroad is not responsible for typos, misinformation, change of service or menu prompts, lack of coverage or other possibilities that result in a lack of service or otherwise resulting in not being able to make or receive calls. We try to supply the most accurate information possible. Carrier rates, service plans and related information can change without notice. If you find any discrepancies between these instructions and your actual experience with the phone service or if you have useful additional information, we would appreciate any clarifications, suggestions or corrections. Please send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Cellular Abroad